Friday, September 26, 2008

Jenny's feelings


If you would like to skip this part, I will not be offended. Some of you have been asking, "How are you doing?" "How are you feeling?" This is always a tough question for me. I can't really say my feelings, with out telling you what I am doing? Well, here goes!

Everything has been really, really good. I will start with school: It is great. The campus is beautiful. I love all the other teachers. My class is full of devil children, and I love them. Seriously, I have the largest class on campus, anytime anything goes wrong at school, I know someone in my class was responsible. Wether it is lying, stealing, cheating, fighting or vandalism, it is someone in my class. And I run a pretty tough ship. I have had to yell at the class 2x!! And I don't yell! Yet, even with these challenges, I really enjoy teaching. I even like elementary? I am not going to lie, I am relieved when once a day I get to leave my little darlings and go teach 8th grade Earth Science. Middle school and early high school might be more of my calling? But, then again, there is something fun about elementary? It's funny, the subject I enjoy teaching the most is English. Reading, writing, grammar! I am horrible at all of those things, yet here I am teaching away! My favorite day is Friday when i spend the first 30 minutes reading to them. We are reading Where the Red Fern Grows, and they hang on every word I say. Beg me to read more. It is so fun to see them so excited. So, I write all this to tell you that I feel good about school and why we are here!

The rest of life is great! I love where we live and who we live with. I am sure that when we leave here, our children will refer to Ann and Drew as Aunt and Uncle. John and I are doing really well, better then I thought. I thought for sure the stress of living in another country would cause more tension, but so far, so good I could not have imagined anything better. I love figuring out the city and that there is the mountain behind our house beckoning us to climb it! So we did.




Where I am feeling stress or pressure...the language. I could, if I wanted, never have to learn spanish. I could go to school, walk home, grab a bus, go shopping, and only speak 5 words. But that is not what I want. So I am trying to study the Rosseta Stone and get into classes asap.

Another area that I am trying to figure out, is where will I focus ministry. What is God calling me/us to here? Do we try to start YL at school? Help lead the youth group at the international church? Or, get to know our neighbors, the kids here, the church and orphanage that is a block away? Fight the language barrier and just GO FOR IT?? Yes, I think the latter! Now, for some divine courage and continued trust that God has called us here, For Such a Time As THIS!

I don't know if that helps? I feel good. I have a deep peace that this is where we are supposed to be. I am thankful. I love seeing God with new eyes again. To see His church. To know Him differently. To seek simplicity. To NOT worry. To have time to pray for others. The feeling of adventure. Time to sit, be still, and know that He is God.
Yes, I like it here.

I do cry. I miss family and friends. Not being home for the holidays will be really hard. Next summer is too far away! John and I hope to be in Costa Rica the end of december-Jan. Maybe you all should come and visit?? That would make me feel better??

Thanks for reading. - Jenny

No comments: