Saturday, September 6, 2008

FUNKY FOOD






All the top chefs in Cochabamba were having a cook-off. What better way to try all of the best food that this AWESOME South American city has to offer? It was wonderful. We ate ridiculous dishes. Everything was presented so professionally, it was a top notch, sophisticated place. And then a fellow got on a mic to open the food lines and then everyone went like crazy to get as much food as possible. It was pure chaos! People threw elbows. Sure, I got cursed at in Spanish, but hey, I was a man on a mission! I had no idea what any of the chefs said, so I had no idea what I was eating, but it was so cool.

I got a few plates of food, ate some, got a few more. At one time I had six plates of food in front of me. Do you know how lamb is very fatty?? Well, so is Gerbil. Jenny graciously ate the meaty part and let me have all the fat. It was disgusting. All the food was great, except for about three or four things (spit into a napkin). None of the chefs saw so I did not offend.

We ate pigeon, gerbil/hamster a few different ways, other small birds, lama, alpaca (yes, they are different), meat with chocolate gravy, octopus...it was an experience. The only thing we avoided was the whipped ham? Mmmmm! A great experience. And...nobody got sick, so we're so thankful.

A note from Jenny:
My husband. I love him. For those of you who know him well, you know that he likes to get his money's worth. We paid 75bs each to get into this place. One of the most expensive meals we have had here for sure! (that is 10 US dollars each!) HE WAS RIDICULOUS with the amount of food he was bringing to the table. I had a total of 4 plates, including one full of chocolate goodness, and at one point I saw John double fisting it to the table with 2 plates in each hand. A-mazing. He was sure not miss out on anything!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

John and Jenny:
Your dad gave me this link and I completely enjoyed reading about your adventures. Hang in there and keep looking for the smiles around you.

All the best.